Topeka North Outreach Annual Report Summary
TOPEKA NORTH OUTREACH, INC.
2019 Annual Report Summary
Topeka North Outreach was charted in 1971 as a 501(c)3 organization. This all volunteer group serves residents of the Oakland and North Topeka communities. The group is comprised of approximately 20 churches from these communities, that have united to extend a helping hand to those in need. Below is a summary of major outreaches for 2019. All of this was accomplished with a lot of Prayer, a lot of help from many caring, cooperative and hard working individuals, churches and organizations, but most importantly, by the Amazing Grace of God! We thank our member churches for the use of their buildings for our meetings and other events.
Community assistance is an essential part of our program and, with your help, we assisted 318 families, including 453 adults and 263 children, with utilities, rent, prescriptions, or medical assistance during 2019. This does not include the numbers of those helped with family food baskets. We partner with the Topeka Rescue Mission to provide food assistance to the community with our help in providing hundreds of pounds of food and volunteer hours.
TNO member churches adopted 58 families, with a total of 204 people from the Topeka Christmas Bureau in 2019. The churches provided gifts for the families including homemade quilts and blankets. Area schools provided hygiene items, hats & gloves. Bibles were given away by the Gideons, and TNO provided food for each family to make a full Christmas meal.
We also provided families from our VBS Club program with food boxes and gifts. With your help and others’, we were able to provide a ray of God’s love in their Christmas season.
TNO’s Youth Ministry shares the love of God and encouragement in the following ways:
• Operation Backpack: Distributed 29,280 Weekend Food Sacks to children at 12 area locations in 2019, including distribution during the summer at several pick-up sites.
• VBS Club: Provided school supplies, hygiene items, and weekend food sacks to local children and youth in need in 2019. The year-round Vacation Bible School (VBS) Club helped 20-40 children each week with Bible stories, crafts & games, service projects, after-school snacks, and a full evening meal on Fridays.
• Hygiene Ministry: Distributed approximately 200 hygiene kits to area children and schools.
• School Supply Giveaway: Gave away book bags and school supplies to 180 children at this event held in August at Garfield Community Center.
• Scholarship & Clothing: Provided limited assistance for school enrollment, activity fees, and clothing needs.
• Thanksgiving Meals: Provided food boxes with holiday meal items to 22 VBS families.
• 40 groups and 377 individuals donate many volunteer hours for Youth Ministries!
VIP Senior Luncheons
TNO has provided a free-will offering lunch meal to senior citizens (VIP Lunch) every Friday for several decades. North Topeka Baptist Church had hosted this meal each week since it began; in 2019, the weekly lunch moved to Topeka Church of the Brethren. Member churches take turns providing the meal each week. In 2019, a total of 1,922 meals were served in 42 weeks.
Yours in Christ,
Topeka North Outreach Board Members